Hurray for Friday!

It sounds strange I know, to be thankful for Friday, when ‘everyday is a holiday’. It makes me chuckle when people refer to my maternity leave as a holiday, I don’t bother with a witty response anymore, but have to smile to myself. 

This weekend, I am looking forward to a nice break and hopefully a lie in. My husband has been away for most of the week, and I have missed the little bit of me time I get when he is here. A five minute shower, or time to cook without entertaining Sami at the same time. Even just going to the loo without having my little monkey right next to me. 

Anyway this week, I’m even more thankful for the weekend, as firstly it means I might if I’m super lucky, get a lie in tomorrow. By lie in I mean sleeping in until 9am, after changing and feeding my monkey at 7am! Secondly, his new found mobility of rolling all over the place has made my life wayyyyyy less chilled. And thirdly on Wednesday I had my first ‘keep in touch’ day which I swear I am still recovering from. This is how it went..

For those of you who have read my previous posts, my monkey won’t take my expressed milk from a bottle, and is not a fan of food, so all of his nutrition comes exclusively from me. This meant that I had to give him his late morning 10am feed prior to leaving for work, and be back for 3pm for his next one. This already made me feel abit paranoid about the day, and what my colleagues would think about my baby being so dependant on me at nearly 11 months old. I made this worse by explaining this to every single person I spoke to when I got there, and was greeted with lots of advise and sympathy.. Not what I wanted! 

Secondly, I had nothing to wear. When we moved in last year, I never unpacked my work clothes as wouldn’t be needing them for awhile, and last month I foolishly gave them all to charity when I was having a ‘fat’ day, thinking I’d never fit into them, even though in reality I am still the same size. I may be the same size, but I have way more lumps and bumps so I couldn’t find anything to wear that I felt comfortable in, and in the end opted for black jeans..So this made me even more paranoid. 

And lastly, it was super stressful getting us both ready in the morning, sorting lunches, getting my monkey to fall asleep at my mums so I could leave knowing he’d have his morning nap (he only sleeps with me too), and getting to the meeting as early as I could (11.20am in the end), knowing I’d be walking in super late as it started at 9.30am). Then I had to do it all again at the end of the day. I rushed back to pick my monkey up, fed him and get him down for his afternoon nap. By this point it was 4pm I was absolutely shattered, and hadn’t sorted out dinner! My first thought was, how do mums do this every day! To all you mums out there who work, you are amazing!

I didn’t get anything out of the day itself, I spent the whole time talking about my monkey and showing his pics off, and drinking coffee to stay awake. I did however decide, I don’t want to do this come September, and I’ll be thinking hard about what part time hours I choose. 

Despite my not so nice time keeping in touch with work, I’ve had a super special week as Sami has not only discovered his mobility, but he now says ‘Mama’ and means it, and it just melts my heart.. I’ll be wearing my Selfish Mother ‘mama’ sweat with even more pride 😍.  

Happy weekend everyone! 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s