Six months ago today at 1.01pm, my little munchkin flew out of me (quite literally). I can’t believe that he is now six months old, and has gone from a teeny tiny bundle (a beautiful one mind), that would just sleep, cry (or should I say SCREAM) and feed, to a lovely bubbly little human who is just so happy and cheeky.
He really does have a lovely little personality already, and he certainly knows how to get his own way, and because he is just so cute, it’s hard not to give in. I really wish I could press pause sometimes and properly take everything in. There’s so much I want to do but just not enough hours in the day (even though we’re up from 5.30am everyday 😂😂).
This last month has been all about getting my munchkin to self soothe himself to sleep, which he is doing brilliantly (he still tests me though). And I’m pleased we have not had to leave him to cry himself to sleep whatsoever. I say we, but let’s face it I mean ‘I’. The husband doesn’t get involved with bedtime, night wakings or naptime.. Lucky him!
Although we’ve tackled getting Sami to sleep, for the last 2 months or so, his sleep patterns have changed considerably, and the amount of night wakings has increased SO SO much. It’s safe to say I am insanely sleep deprived, I don’t even know how I am functioning. I long to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, and right now am jealous of everyone around me who gets that and more (a lot more).
It’s been way too long, and being this sleep deprived can make you irritable, short tempered and generally moody. Thankfully, I have an understanding husband and mother, (the people who spend the most time with me) who just ignore it and let me be. I often can’t go back to sleep after being woken, and am just waiting for the next waking (for hours). I honestly have so much love and respect for all mums out there. You really don’t appreciate what it’s like until you’ve been through it.
Anyway, enough of that. Even though the last month has been solely focused on Sami’s sleep and nap times (I don’t go out for very long in the day as want him to have all of his naps at home while he is still learning to self soothe), I feel that six months old is full of exciting firsts and new experiences. Here are ours:
- Sami tried his first food threedays ago, puréed carrot, which he loved. He hated puréed potato the next day, and loved sweet potato on day 3. I am loosely following Annabel Karmel’s weaning guidance, and have a couple of her books. I will let you know how we get on.
- Sami moved into his ‘big baby’ cot three weeks ago (a little early but he was ready and it’s actually helped with naptime tremendously. He also moved into his own room a little early, at just before five months. It has helped us both as we are both light sleepers and I would often wake him getting into bed and getting up to use the loo.
- We will be saying goodbye to Sami’s carrycot base on his bugaboo, and he will be forward facing which I’m so excited about. He loves going for walks and we often go on very very long ones. He will be able to see so much more :).
- Sami’s high chair arrived today, and I can’t wait for him to join us at meal times, as we continue to experiment with flavours and textures.
- Sami’s babble game is now strong, and he is experimenting with sounds. I am so impressed with all of the different sounds he is trying to say. My personal favourites are ‘mama’ and ‘dada’. I’m not sure wether he knows what he is saying, but he often makes these sounds when in his cot trying to sleep and wants us to come.
- We are so delighted and excited with the fabulous news that Sami will have a little cousin- due June 2016. Exactly one year younger than Sami. I have grown up with a sister and cousins of similar ages, and I can’t tell you how valuable this has been for me. I am overjoyed that Sami will experience this, and I just can’t wait to welcome my nephew/ niece.
All in all its been a very eventful month, I feel like he is growing so much and learning so much and I’m just so excited to see how he develops further. He is worth all the sleepless nights, and lack of social life. I literally devout my time to him 24/7, but he is so worth it, and he is such a happy baby, I think he knows that he is loved so much.
I will leave you with some pictures of the finished nursery 😄